Thursday, May 19, 2005

Google Link Command

Many of us know by now that to find the inbound links to a website we can use the Google link command as follows: link:www.yourdomain.com. However as of late only less than 10% of inbound links is reported by Google. There is lots of speculation about why is that, but no one knows the full answer yet.
To find a better answer to links question use Yahoo link command linkdomain:www.yourdomain.com or MSN link:www.yourdomain.com and this will give you a better understanding of your link popularity.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip on the syntax for backlinks on Yahoo. I had tried links: the other day and it didn't work, and I was just about to go look it up. But you saved me the trouble! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Technorati is great for finding out what other blogs link to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting. Well, now I know when looking for backlinks off of my sites, I know not to depend on google! Oh well, I usually compared backlinks with other search engines using http://www.sitereportcard.com .

    ReplyDelete
  4. People speculate the reson being google is trying to prevent link spaming

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an interesting point. My Small Business Trends site has at various times had up to 7,000 back links showing in Google. Now after the most recent update, it shows 14 backlinks for http://www.smallbusinesses.blogspot.com and 2170 for http://smallbusinesses.blogspot.com. I can't figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. for google you can use
    link: www.yoursite.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting. Found some unusual links with MSN that I didn't even know about. Thanks for the tip on this!

    ReplyDelete